Merseytravel works with schools and colleges to help them encourage more walking, cycling and using public transport on the journey to and from school or college.
As well as reducing school gate congestion and making a safer, healthier environment for everyone, young peoples’ independence and ability to access weekend jobs, after school clubs and leisure or sporting opportunities can all be supported by them using bus, train, bicycle and walking more.
What you can do...
TICKETS AND AFFORDABILITY
- MyTicket - a £2 all day bus ticket for 18 & unders. Young people buy it from the driver on the day they want to travel and can use it on all bus operators. Posters are available for schools to promote this to pupils and parents/carers.
- Term Time Tickets - Merseytravel Term time tickets (Solo and Trio) are available at the beginning of each school term and can be used on all bus operators, trains and ferry depending on which one is needed. Solo tickets (bus only) can now be used up to midnight. Schools can bulk order term time ticket application forms from us via the contact details below. Term time tickets may be a cheaper option than paying each day.
- Click here to find out about tickets from Arriva and Stagecoach or to find out how children qualify for a free travel pass from your local authority.
- Schools and colleges can download the journey planning widget to their website - people just enter their postcode and are shown cycle, bus and train routes to the site
- The Journey Planner app gives parents and older pupils up to date transport information at their fingertips. You can also find out about routes and times on our Travelling Around page
- Schools can order bus and train timetables and cycle maps to display by ringing our deliveries team on 0151 330 1037
CYCLING AND WALKING
- Merseytravel offers FREE Cycle Training to all schools in Merseyside - the national Bikeability scheme is available for pupils in years 5-9 including SEN pupils. Follow the link for further details.
- Teachers can download free lesson plans and resources from the Bikeability website or find more ways to encourage walking and cycling with Sustrans and Living Streets
- Download our education resources, a variety of material for all school ages and key stages of the curriculum, including 'A Place in Time' humanities resource commemorating the Great War 1914-1918
- These interactive sessions that include drama and rap workshops educate pupils about the consequences of anti-social behaviour, give them tips on being safe passengers and encourage them to think about fellow bus/train users. Highly popular, effective and enjoyed, these sessions are part of our planned, targeted TravelSafe programme.
- We are working with targeted secondary and primary schools on a transition programme that includes journey planning with pupils and engaging with parents and school councils to promote buses, walking and cycling. You can find out more here and if you are interested in being involved in future, please email us with your contact details.
Contact our team on 0151 330 1253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on any of our offers.