The Merseylink Bus Service
The Merseylink bus service is Merseytravel's dial-a-ride service for people with mobility problems or difficulties, who cannot use ordinary public transport some or all of the time.
The vehicles are designed for easy access and passenger comfort and include:
Merseylink drivers are caring, friendly and familiar with the needs of people with mobility problems. The service is free for members and a truly essential travel companion.
*If you use a wheelchair you must ensure that it is transport-friendly.
How to become a member?
You are eligible for Merseylink membership if:
Applying for Merseylink membership
You can easily apply by post or in person:
By post to: Merseylink Applications, Hubs Support, Merseytravel, PO Box 1976, Liverpool, L69 3HN.
Send your completed application form with a recent passport photograph and proof that you are eligible, which must be one of the following:
Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
High rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
High rate attendance allowance.
Blind Registration document.
War disablement pension (with mobility supplement or high rate care allowance).
If you want to apply in person, visit any Travel Centre* (open Monday to Saturday between 8.30 a.m. and 6 p.m. or Sunday between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m) and bring:
- The completed application form (or one can be obtained at the Travel Centre).
- A recent passport size photograph of yourself (There is a photograph booth in most Travel Centres, where your photograph can be taken for a small charge).
- Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
- High rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
- High rate attendance allowance.
- Blind Registration document.
- War disablement pension (with mobility supplement or high rate care allowance).
- A valid medical certificate or exemption certificate from your G.P. if you are unable to wear a seat belt. **
** All passengers using the Merseylink service are required, by law, to wear the seat belts or safety harnesses which are provided. If you are unable to wear a seat belt for medical reasons you must provide a valid medical exemption certificate. You will then be able to travel on Merseylink vehicles without wearing the seatbelt or safety harness, but entirely at your own risk.
If you become a member of Merseylink
- Your Merseylink membership will last for two years.
- Subject to availability, your journey can start as early as 8.00am or end as late as 11.00pm.
- Merseylink operates every day – including a limited service on Christmas Day.
- You can use Merseylink to travel anywhere in Merseyside (subject to availability).
- Merseylink cannot be used for journeys to attend hospital appointments, day care facilities or special schools.
- You can book your journeys between 2 days and 7 days before you travel.
- If you need to cancel your journey, you must let us know at least 2 hours before your scheduled pick-up time.
- You can make up to 10 return journeys each month.
- You can book your journey by calling us on 0151 330 1660 between 10.00am and 2.00pm, 7 days a week. If you want to make any enquiries or to cancel a journey, you can call us on 0151 330 1661 between 8.00am and 8.00pm, 7 days a week. (If you use RNID TextRelay, dial 18001 before either of these numbers).
- It will not always be possible for the Merseylink bus to pick you up at the time you want to start your journey, and we may offer you an alternative time.
- We will aim to pick you up within 15 minutes of your pick-up time and you should be ready and waiting for the vehicle. The driver cannot wait for you, if you are not ready, because this may delay other people.
- If you are able to use accessible public transport, we may offer you a journey to an accessible bus stop or Merseyrail Station.
- Demand for Merseylink is extremely high and we may not always be able to offer you the exact journey or time you want – but we will always try our best.
For further information please call Merseytravel, we are here to help:
Telephone: 0151 330 1660 for bookings, Monday - Sunday, 8am - 2pm
Telephone: 0151 330 1661 for cancellations or enquiries, Monday - Sunday, 8am - 8pm
RNID Typetalk - Dial 18001 before either of the numbers above for a Typetalk assisted call.
Merseylink Application Form
Easy Access guide to public transport in Merseyside
To ensure that you can correctly view these documents, please make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be obtained via this official link.